The Unionville Historical Society
research, archive, teach, learn, remember.
Unionville on Wikipedia.
Wikipedia permits many contributors to collaborate in defining "Unionville"
for the benefit of the rest of the world.
The Unionville Historical Society is one of those contributors,
concentrating on the historical aspects.
Because of the nature of this multi-contributor model, the
Main Street Unionville
pages on Wikipedia sometimes end up with incorrect or outdated information.
The causes of this are:
- current information intermingled with historical information.
If it is not made very clear, historical information that was true at one time but is no longer
true now, like boundaries, population make-up, municipal & political structure,
can confuse or mislead readers.
- time-sensitive information, like "upcoming events". If this information is not removed
when the event is over,
readers get confused or misled.
- detailed information that is already on its own website (or should be)
makes the Wikipedia page too large and cumbersome to be understood and enjoyed by its readers.
Some contributors may honestly feel that what they have added to the page
is of world-class importance, while others may feel that it is more suited
to a "detail" or "special interest" web page.
The UHS wants to make the Unionville Wikipedia pages the best possible,
and uses this check-list to evaluate each statement made:
Comment on these criteria
- If the information is historical and not still true, is that fact made perfectly clear?
- If the information is current but has an expiry date, like an event announcement,
who guarantees that it will be removed when the event is over? Would it not be better
to put a link to an external web page that is regularly maintained by the event's
- Is the information just someone's opinion or is it backed up by verifiable documentation?
Where is the documentation and how does one get access to it?
- Is the information something that someone in Africa or Norway needs to know
in order to get a grasp on what Unionville is?
Is it compelling enough for them to mention to their neighbours at their